How to claim a $750 Covid pandemic payout, who is eligible, tax implications

Covid-infected workers forced to self-isolate at home without sick leave will again be able to claim up to $750 in pandemic pay starting this week.

Services Minister Bill Shorten has urged anyone who has run out of sick leave to apply – not just casual workers who are not usually entitled to sick leave.

“What will happen is if you have to self-isolate for seven days, if in that seven-day period you lose more than eight hours of work or a full day of work, you can claim,” did he declare. Sunrise.

“The only checks and balances are that if you have sick leave you have to use your sick leave first, but I’m not insisting on your vacation leave. But if you have sick leave, you have to use it first.

how much can you claim

For each seven-day period of self-isolation, the amount of pandemic compensation you are entitled to depends on the number of hours of work you have lost.

The new diet works similar to the original diet.

You are eligible for:

• $450 if you lost at least eight hours or a full day of work and less than 20 hours of work

• $750 if you lost 20 or more hours of work.

• If you have lost less than eight hours or a full day of work during the seven-day period of self-isolation, quarantine or care, you will not be eligible for this payment.

The Albanian government initially scrapped the program on June 30 before state premiers called for its reinstatement amid a surge of winter cases.

“If you are 17 or over, an Australian working in Australia, or hold a visa which means you can work in Australia, you are eligible,” Mr Shorten said.

“Also, if you have more than $10,000 in the bank, then it’s not a means test, but if you have liquid assets, you don’t qualify.

“But you can make the claim by going online through your myGov account or if you don’t have one you can create one quite easily through the Services Australia website.”

Mr Shorten said applicants would also have to provide proof that they were Covid positive via a PCR test, medical certificate or RAT.

“Yes, they need positive proof. Like a medical certificate or proof that you had a positive Covid reading,’ he said.

Don’t forget the tax implications

If you received the payment during the last fiscal year, you must include it on your tax return this year.

It must also be declared to the child support agency if you are a parent.

It will not be pre-filled in your tax return, so you must do the following two things:

• add all the PLDP amounts you obtained for any period of the fiscal year

• Include the total amount on your tax return.

• If you file your tax return online via myTax, report it under ‘Australian Government Special Payments’.

• If you are receiving Family Assistance, you will also need to include the Pandemic Leave Disaster Payment in your estimate of family income as taxable income or when notifying us of your failure to file a tax return.

If you are part of a couple, you can both claim the payment, but you will need to complete separate applications.

Deadlines for claiming

The first deadline to keep in mind is that you must apply within 14 days of the start of each seven-day period of self-isolation, quarantine or care.

But if you are forced to self-isolate longer – for example if you are caring for children who test positive for Covid later than other family members extending the period of self-isolation – you can file another request.

How to claim the money

All Australian residents must apply for the pandemic payment online. And to claim online you will need a myGov account linked to Centrelink.

If you do not have a myGov account, you will need to create one online.

There are also other supports available for those not eligible for payments, including a helpline.

“Yes, if you receive an income support payment, you are also eligible to apply (for the crisis payment for national health emergency payments),” Mr Shorten said.

“My best advice is to go online at Services Australia. If the whole digital experience scares you, and it’s not an illegitimate view, you can call 180 22 66. It’s 180 22 66. The system is there for the tough guys, that’s how we’ll take care of each other.

Mr Shorten also left the door open to extending the payment beyond September 30 if the health boards suggested it was necessary.

“Obviously we all want to see the Covid surge diminish at that time. If the facts change by the end of this period, there is no doubt that the national cabinet will have the same kind of deliberations as in the meeting on Saturday, which was called by the Prime Minister,” he said. he declares.

Source link

Elaine R. Knight