Champaign County offers water payment assistance
CHAMPAIGN, Ill. (WCIA) – Champaign County is offering households affected by COVID-19 assistance with paying water bills to avoid outages and restore service.
The Champaign County Regional Planning Commission’s assistance program is a one-time payment to be used for water and wastewater services. To be eligible for assistance, households must have an income that does not exceed 80% of the median income of the area (AMI). Households that have already been disconnected or are facing an imminent disconnection must also have a balance of $250 or more on their water bills to be eligible.
Homeowners can qualify with a monthly income of up to $2,147 for one-person households, $2,903 for two-person households, $3,660 for three-person households and $4,417 for families of four people. Renters may qualify with a monthly income of up to $4,033 for one-person households, $4,608 for two-person households, $5,216 for three-person households and $7,758 for families of four people.
Benefits will be paid directly to water/wastewater vendors on behalf of eligible households.
RPC requires the following documentation to process applications:
- Proof of income for the 60 day period beginning on the date of application for all household members
- ID photo
- A copy of the lease or a signed letter from the landlord (for tenants)
- Proof of social security numbers or individual tax identification numbers for all household members
- The last water/wastewater bill issued within the last 30 days
- A disconnection notice (if the water has already been disconnected)
Applications will be accepted on a first come, first served basis. Nominations will be made until May 31 or until funds are exhausted. The app is located in line.